The outlook for Canton is bright with many new exciting projects and programs in the works. You may download a summary of current major initiatives and future projects.
Did you know Canton, TX supports a
population boom of 250,000 visitors
Well, it does. Canton grows to be the
seventh largest city in Texas when
Trade Days is held with over 7,000
vendor spaces set up in the 450-acre
First Monday Park to sell their wares.
Canton is only 60 miles east of Dallas
119 N. Buffalo St., Canton, Texas 75103
Tel: 903.567.1851 | Fax: 903.567.1872
Property for the town’s first school, Canton Academy, was acquired in 1853. Sid S. Johnson began publication of the Canton Weekly Times, the county’s first newspaper, in 1860. A Grange was founded in 1876.
As late as the 1880’s, the streets were unkept and at times very muddy. By 1890 Canton had a population of 421, flour mills, sawmills, cotton gins and a bank. The old wooden fire traps of buildings began to disappear and substantial brick structures were erected. Brick buildings were well under construction by 1892 and a new brick courthouse was completed in 1894. Iron ore and anthracite coal were discovered in 1887 and 1891. By 1896 the town reached a population high of 800 and had several churches, a steam gristmill and gin, two weekly newspapers, three general stores and two hotels.Residents had dropped to 421 by 1904. Incorporated in 1919, Canton elected a mayor and aldermen. Despite the Great Depression, development of the Van oilfield after 1929 brought further expansion, and a Public Works Administration project in the 1930s completed a new courthouse in the community. In 1933, area schools registered 500 white and 28 black students. The population reached 715 in 1940, but residents dwindled again after 1949. In the 1950s, local businesses included a sweet potato curing plant, an ice factory, a concrete-tile factory, lumberyards and a cotton gin. Expansion of the Canton city limits doubled its territory in the 1960s. In 1970, the community had a municipal lake with recreational facilities, seven churches, a school, a bank, a library, a newspaper, and 86 businesses. The population doubled between 1960 and 1970 from roughly 1,000 to 2,000, and reached nearly 3,000 by 1990. In 2000, population was 3,292. However, the city council decided to recount the population and found that the town had a population of 5,147 instead of the previous census total of 3,292.